ESLI Fall 2012
Assignment Description / Handout
My Philly: Illustrated Journal and Multimedia Video Essay
In the first few weeks of Art Studio, you will work in your journal and create a multimedia video essay. You will draw and write in your journal to document your experiences in Philadelphia. You will then use the material from your journal and photographs you’ve taken to create a video that shows the city through your eyes. The video will be composed with images, text and music.
You can work together to share materials and images. You will make your own individual video.
Breakdown of project
1. Illustrated Journal - making and taking images on site in Philadelphia
2. Writing about images and experiences in your Writing Studio
3. Lecture by Christian Patchell
4. Scanning, uploading images; Photoshopping images
5. Composing video with images, text and music
6. Editing and completing video
7. Presenting in class critique
The video should be about 2-4 minutes long. It must include 1) images, 2) music and 3) text that guides your narrative.
1) You should have at least 20-30 images
-images of sketch and writing entries from journal
- photographs you and your classmates have taken since your arrival in Philly
- images changed/manipulated in Photoshop (4 or 5)
2) You can choose 1 or more songs to use as background music for your video. You may also create sounds, or compose and record your own music.
3) Text should appear in your video and act as a guiding narrative to the video.
Command 3 takes picture of whole screen
Command 4 takes picture of selected area
Command Z Undo
Command C Cut
Command V Paste
Command S Save
Command + Zoom in
Command - Zoom out
Photoshop - You can manipulate or adjust your photos in Photoshop.
Open an image in Photoshop
Pull the image into the Photoshop icon in the dock of your computer. Or under File go to Open and find choose your image.
Make copy of your image
Use Select Tool and select area you would like.
To make adjustments
- Color Balance
- Photo Filter
To change image and make blurry, sketchy, bubbly, posterlike, etc . . . Under Filter (try different filters)
PHOTO TO MOVIE
You should have a folder (with images, photos) and your song on your desktop.
Launch Photo to Movie
These icons will appear on the page
Add photos and music
Click on Media icon
Go to Photos
Go to Audio
Drag song or other selected sounds
-You can drag the music to shorten it. When it’s at the length you like, go to Audio in the toolbar and go to Trim Audio.
*your images should be saved as JPEGs.
Click on the Text icon
Click on Edit Transitions button to choose different types of transitions between images
Make Movie when you are finished
Click on Film Strip icon
Select MPEG-4 file format.
Hit Make Movie