Harry Lowe 

Creative Practices

!2/12/13

FINAL ASSIGNMENT!!!

Over the course of the semester, we were assigned to go to many different and interesting venues. During this class, I visited the Art Museum, the Barnes Foundation, Fringe Arts and more. Even though I had a chance to experience all of these places, the first event that sticks out in my mind the most was our first one. Our first assignment was to attend a Fringe Arts event. I chose to go to a live Horror/Comedy performance called "Alley of Nightmares". When I first found out we had to attend a show, I was very bummed out. I really didn't want to travel around the city and sit through boring shows that I didn't have any interest in. When I got around to actually attending an event, there  many interesting events that I could go to. After looking through the list of events, the one that sounded most tollerable was the alley of nightmares. I'm a big fan of 1950's horror comics and things of that nature. I was kind of excited, but I still wasn't happy because the only show I could attend was at like 10:00 at night and I had school the next day. Oh well. I sucked it up and went to the performance. What I saw that night was amazing! This live show was filled with so much comedy and charisma. It had a great character to it and all of the performers were very likable and they all fit together well. This is a really great memory that I have from this class. Alley of Nightmares was extremely entertaining and I enjoyed the fact that young actors were up there doing what they love and doing it well. This assignment taught me most about momentum, the ongoing theme throughout this class. Momentum was present in this assignment because I went from hating this class to completely changing my mind overnight.

Even though I havent enjoyed every venue that I've attended for this class, there have been many that I have enjoyed. I really enjoyed the Fabric Workshop. It had a very warm and friendly atmosphere. The fabrics that were on display were absolutly amazing and could hold your concentration for a while. The workshop showed me to work hard at what I do. The story of the workshop and how they take young artists in and teach them new things really inspired me. I really appreciated what they did there and thought their museum/gallery was very wonderful. It showed the potential of young artists and how they can be amazingly talented. That's one other thing that I really liked about the class, how we got to see other young artists doing their thing. It gave me confidence that I can make it out in the real world and that I can do what I love. I hope I'm successful one day like the artists I saw display their talents. I think that this class really did teach me the value of my talent and it's place in the real world.

This class has taught me many things over the semester. Our teachers have been amazing and have talked to us like adults in intellectual and casual ways. It's funny how the theme of this class is momentum because it has been filled with it whether that was intentional or not. From the first class to our last which takes place tomorrow, I feel like I'm coming out if it with more knowledge, which is momentum of the brain. I've learned about art and how it can be better then I thought it could be. Anne White and Lonnie Graham have been more then wonderful at sparking new interests in us. I think I can speak for the class as a whole when I say that they were pretty cool teachers. I really am going to miss going to Creative Practices every friday afternoon and listening to Lonnie and Anne discuss the very relevant topics relating to us young artists, but I guess this ending is just continuing the momentum of life. I've learned and experienced a lot over the course of the semester in this class, but now it's time to move on. That's just the way it goes and showing the topic of the class in motion.

Harry Lowe

Creative Practices

11/1/13

Philadelphia Murals

When I found out that we had to find a mural to write about for this class, I thought it would be impossible. I didn't think it would be impossible to find one, there's a flood of them around the city, but I thought it would be impossible to choose one. Instead of searching for an amazing mural that I'd never seen before to talk about, I figured I'd choose one that I see everyday. Walking to the subway stop on Broad and Lombard everyday, I always see this amazing mural. "Theater of Life" it's called. It's a huge and beautiful mural that encorporates paint and 3-D material to really give it a sense of life and magic. The mural contains many beautiful colors and imagery. It has a cluttered yet graceful layout and stunning craftsmanship. This mural has a feeling of momentum in the way that it makes your eyes dance across the painted wall. It has a feeling of movement and gives off a sense of life. This is the perfect example of a way to incorporate momentum into a mural. The theme and look of the mural work together to create a really wonderful addition to our city's visual appeal. Even though I chose a mural that I'm used to seeing all the time, I enjoyed looking around the city and enjoying all of the beautiful and creative artwork that graces our streets. This mural is very beautiful and I enjoy it everyday.

Harry Lowe

Creative Practices

10/24/13

Institute of Contemporary Art

When i went to the Institute of Contemporary Art, I was kind've excited. I couldn't wait to see what kind of interesting and new artwork I would find inside. I had the assignment in my mind when I went, but I tried to focus on the artwork first. It had a calm atmosphere and I felt comfortable inside. The art that I saw in there was really cool. I saw the sculptures of Jason Rhoades. He has a really modern and spontaneous style of art making. His sculptures are made up of found objects. The pieces are all very bright, fun and you keep finding new things when you look at them. There were a few pieces that I really liked, but the one that stood out to me the most was one that had hundreds of neon signs hanging from the ceiling. The whole things just carried your eyes around the room. It had a great sense of momentum in the way it was set up and the way it carried your attention throught it. It was a really fun piece. It was really amazing to see something like that. I enjoyed the entire exhibit and the whole thing had a feeling of momentum. There was a feeling of invention with his work, even though every piece consisted of found objects. I really enjoyed the exhibit and had a great time checking out this very different and interesting kind of artwork. I look forward to seeing more things like this in the future.

Harry Lowe

Creative Practices

Design Philadelphia Festival

For this assignment I went to the Ikea that's right near my house to see the "Design the City" exhibit there. The Ikea was displaying installations that were previously built by teams of creative teens. I wasn't really sure what kind of exhibit it was going to be, but I had some idea in my head. When talking about momentum, the whole experience had a sense of momentum. First, there was momentum in the way I was feeling. Unsure and anxious to see the installations. I rode the escalator up to the second floor, giving the visit even more momentum. After looking around to find where the sculptures were, I finally came apon them. The sculptures were really cool and had a bright and fun look about them. They had a good sense of momevent and fun to them which gave off a feeling of momentum. They were built out of pieces of furniture, decor items and everyday objects. This gave off a sense of momentum too because of the way that normal things were repurposed into something new and exciting. It was cool to see how creative the builders were and how they put their talents to good use. I liked all of the pieces about the same because they were all so unique. The atmosphere in there had a calming feeling and the staff is really nice and friendly. I had a lot of fun visiting this exhibit and was glad I had a chance to check it out.

I forgot to take pictures, so here's a link with photos of the pieces.:

http://www.theshare-space.com/BlogPostDetail/?entryId=278

Harry Lowe

Creative Practices

10/10/13

The Fabric Workshop and Museum

The Fabric Workshop and Museum was a really cool and unique place. The rooms were very quiet and calming and the vibrant and creative fabrics on the walls contrasted that very nicely. There were a few pieces of fabric that for me, echoed the idea of momentum very well. Some looked like they had physical momentum due to their flowing patterns and some had a strong sense of creativity which mirrorred momentum due to the development of modern techniques. One piece stood out to me the most though. There was no label visible that I could see to find the maker or name of the fabric, but it was a really interesting pattern. The pattern was a black and white, graphic image of what looked to me like an african woman gathering leaves. The image was repeated over and over to form an abstract pattern. At first I could'nt tell what it was, but after looking at it for a minute, the image and pattern appeard to me. This piece of fabric relates to momentum because the pattern literally carries your eyes through it. It also relates to momentum because the image is of a woman working and gathering leaves in a flowing way. You get the feeling that there is movement in it and she is hard at work. The Museum was really cool and i enjoyed the tour. Everyone there was very friendly and made my visit comfortable and enviting. 

Harry Lowe

Creative Practices

10/2/13

Independent Film: "Destined"

"Destined" is an Independent horror/suspense film from Philadelphia film maker Mike Giletto. I know Mike personally and he actually hired me last year to draw the story boards for the film. The movie was recently put onto DVD so I figured since I was involved in the movie somewhat I'd write about it for this assignment. 

The film is about a man, Michael, who believes that his wife and best friend are having an affair together. He spends the movie investigating this and uncovering clues. In between this plot, theres also a character who can see into the future and warns Michael of awful future events. Michael winds up shooting his wife in an attempt to defend himself, but it turns out she was just planning a surprise birthday party for him. It's a smart story and something that would fit perfectly into a Tales from the Crypt comic book.

This film relates to momentum because it picks up speed and tension as it goes on. The whole film builds up to the climax, which turns out to be something different than you expected. It completely and abruptly halts and completely reverses this momentum in the opposite direction. It also has a sense of momentum in the way that the characters change throughout the film. It had a nice pace and some cool moments. You could tell that the film makers put a lot of effort into producing a good movie. I thought it was a pretty smart story and a clever movie. It had some cool twists and turns and was very satisfying.

Here is a link to the imdb page: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2197178/

Harry Lowe

Creative Practices

9/19/13

Fringe Arts: Alley of Nightmares

This performance was very entertaining and had a few qualities that I really found enjoyable. The whole momentum theme really showed during this performance. The progression of the comedy, the unity of the group members, and even the energy grew with each skit. This show was a parody of the horror shows and comics of the 1950's such as the Twilight Zone and Tales from the Crypt. I'm a big fan of this kind of stuff, so I found it refreshing that a group of young comedians would also share my interest in this.

From the first sketch to the last, around 10 all together, the quality of the humor really grew. It went from okay, to funny, to hilarious. You could also sense the comedians becoming more and more comfortable with the audience as the night went on. The energy of the actors and the energy in the room grew, as everyone seemed to invest more and more of themselves into the comedy. I really enjoyed the Alley of Nightmares. It was a fun and clever take on the horror and sci-fi genre of the '50's.

Each player sho

wed tremendous talent and each ha

d their own individual style. They really drew you in to what they were saying and you could tell they were having fun. The highlight of the night was the Gatekeeper. This cloaked character appeared only on screen but poked fun at the audience and really made us feel like a part of the show. I think that this was a really great event and I look forward to attending more in the future. 

Photos:

Replace the smiley face above with a profile photo. This graduate student profile site is intended to build towards a professional web presence.  Choose a photo with future employers in mind.

Copy over this text and insert your 50 word bio.

For more help with e-portfolios, go to the 'Help for Students' resource e-portfolio.