There are lots of different things about my home, Austin, TX and Philadelphia, PA. Austin is definitely a city but this is a whole new environment. Those two places give me opposite vibes and they have different kind of presence so for my soundscape, I wanted to play with the idea of presence. If we could measure presence, what it would be like to have a high, strong presence or barely any presence?

To make my final soundscape, I listened and took the previous soundscapes and incorporate that into my final project soundscape. I wanted to let the audience hear and feel the presence of the city. Because I wanted to play with the idea of presence, I used the recordings that I took out in the streets and also used city sounds from YouTube. I also used the sound of people’s conversations from YouTube and my own recordings of people talking in the Walnut studios. After the making of this soundscape, I made some phrases and movements that I thought would support the idea of presence. It was really nice because I had the music going on and I could also hear other city sounds from the streets.

I had to reflect, observe and compare the present and the past, and think deeply of how I want the audience to experience my soundscape. It would be held outside but in a little space, made out of either see-through plastic or glass, like a glass box. There would be different showing times and a dancer would do the phrases with the music on. People can obviously see from the outside but they can also come into the space and see the dancer with the music in the background. I picked this kind of installation for the audience to experience because of this quote, “Presence means you hold your own space, control the space around you, and sometimes welcome others to it,” by Anna Deavere Smith. I want the audience to be invited to the presence that the dancer has inside the installation.

Source Material:

My own recordings from inside the Walnut studio

My own recordings from outside on the streets

Sounds of Door Knocks from YouTube

Sounds of the City from YouTube

People’s Conversation from YouTube

Vladimir’s Blues by Max Ritcher

Horizon Variations by Max Ritcher

Picture of Austin, TX from Google Image

Picture of Philadelphia, PA from Google Image