For this project I choose to recreate a Baroque style mirror out of trash. Baroque is an artistic style that used exaggerated motion and intense detail from the 1600's. The style was ornate, usually golden, and all about showing off how wealth and vanity. Recreating it in garbage takes the main idea of baroque style away from it, but still marinating the shape and color of the traditional style. The use of the mirror increases the sense of vanity. The piece if made from cardboard, apple core, orange peels, tea bags, trash bags, paper plates, and other papers and cardboards from various containers. Using familiar trash items also makes it more relatable then using gold again taking away the eliteness of baroque.  

This project is called “Things are shaping up.” It is a narrative of my life after I can to collage. For me collage was never an option due to my anxiety and I was able to  get her and when I got her I met the best people and learned from them. Some of these are friends and I talk to everyday some are ex boyfriends that were an important part of my life but I don’t necessarily speak with them often. I believe this is a project I wish to expand of because some people couldn’t get their pictures taken and I will also continue to me meet more great people are the years go on. The piece itself is a series of fifteen 35mm silver gelatin prints on fiber paper all with oil paint shapes painted on each individual and my portrait has all the shapes. Signifying these are the people who have helped me be how I am. 

Junior Projects and Discourse I