LetterOfRecommendation_SMastalski signed.pdf

Dr. Carmen Nocera

Harry W. Lockley Early Learning Center

420 Fern Street
New Castle, PA 16101

Re: Shari Mastalski, Teaching Artist

July 22, 2016

Dear Dr. Nocera;

I am writing this letter of recommendation in support of Shari Mastalski, teaching artist with Erie Arts & Culture.  Ms. Mastalski is completing her teaching artist certification with the University of the Arts in Philadelphia Pennsylvania, and as part of her capstone thesis is required to complete a 10-day residency with a local school.  Thank you for agreeing to host Shari in a residency at the Harry W. Lockley Early Learning Center and help her meet her thesis requirements. I know you will be pleased with her work.

As the Arts Education Director of Erie Arts & Culture I have had the pleasure of working with Shari for the past six years, and I can state with confidence that she is a motivated and responsible person with a high degree of integrity. I’ve witnessed Shari’s talents and professionalism in a variety of classroom settings and observed her successfully engage learners in creative movement and dance.

Ms. Mastalski is committed to her students and brings creativity and enthusiasm to her work. In 2015 Shari was in residence at the Hoyt Center for the Arts and George Washington School summer program. During this residency Shari worked with the students in grades 3 thru 6, bringing a dance component to the 2015 Canes Summer Program, while teaching dance, improvisation, and choreography to support the physical education standards. In addition, the dance lessons supported science concepts that connected with the book selections for the reading program.

Shari is a creative artist and teacher with numerous talents and considerable self-discipline. She is warm, friendly and compassionate about her work.  Shari’s work as a dancer and her experience as a Teaching Artist make her an ideal candidate for the teaching artist certificate program and I strongly recommend Shari Mastalski for a residency at Harry W. Lockley Early Learning Center.

Sincerely,

M. Holly Nowak

Arts Education Program Director